Job descriptionFood Chemist
£25,000 - £35,000
An innovative and dynamic food ingredient company has an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic Food Chemist to join its R&D team. You will support work across a range of functions in the food technology team, however, your key duties will be focused on physical and chemical characterization of the ingredient and the products it is used in.
Ideally, you will have completed a post-graduate degree in food science (or related subject); those with equivalent technical experience are also encouraged to apply. You will also have proven track record of working in a food testing laboratory environment, preferably in an industry research setting.
We look to grow our people with the business and this position offers the right candidate potential for progression within the food technology team.
Reporting to, and supported by, the Head of Research, your duties as a Food Chemist will be varied; however, the key duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Planning, design and execution of Research & Development projects. Applying scientific principles to build knowledge of our ingredients for use in finished food systems
- Using analytical chemistry and food science assays to characterise functionality of our ingredients at the molecular level.
- Developing and implementing new chemical and physical characterisation methods, processing techniques and product analyses.
- Understanding ingredient usage, shelf life evaluation, experimental design, sensory evaluation and compiling specifications and nutritional information for developed products
- Creating and maintaining inventory records of all ingredients, chemicals and equipment used in the experimental work
You will have the following skills and experience:
- Strong food science fundamentals, including, 3 years relevant industry experience and/or a post-graduate qualification in a food science related field.
- Proven laboratory experience, ideally gained within an industrial lab environment and a professional approach with excellent attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously to deliver against tight deadlines and to contribute both as part of a team and individually
- Understanding of food ingredients, food analytical tools, food microbiology and formulation of food products
If you are a Food Chemist looking to work for an up and coming Food Technology business who can support further development and growth, apply now!