Job descriptionWe are recruiting for a growing team base near / North of Dunstable just off the M1 - this role is currently home-working but when the team return to the office there still will be a offering of 3-4 home-working days per week.
This is a new role joining a team in the process of carrying out a full refresh of its legacy business technology enabling them to improve the experience of customers and colleagues on a daily basis. As part of this refresh the Business Technology team has an exciting new role for a dedicated Web Developer supporting the internal development of critical business tools to empower our colleagues around the country.
This role is key to our clients strategic aims, helping them to ensure that they build the best applications using the most appropriate technologies. The role will be critical in helping us remove legacy applications and move our technology stack into the cloud from an on-premise environment.
The candidate will be responsible for the delivery of applications from start to finish across the stack (both frontend and backend). This will include:
• Examining legacy applications and code within the business to enable enhancement and support as required.
• Aiding colleagues with (or producing) specifications and terms of reference documents as required by any projects initiated.
• Agreeing the scope and technologies required for projects with the wider Business Technology Team.
• Creating work plans, schedules and supporting documentation for all code written.
• Design and creation of code to achieve the agreed specification. All code will be neat, succinct and well remarked to ensure future maintainability.
• Refactoring code to ensure stability and minimal server load.
• Maintaining a source control system and implementing best practice within the team.
• Maintaining multiple environments to separate development, testing and live.
• Completing test plans and bug fixing as required to get systems live.
• 3rd line support of both legacy and new applications
• Maintaining Linux and AWS environments that host the solutions.
The person in question will require the following skill set:
• Proven use of LAMP in a commercial environment, both developing within and the setup and ongoing support.
• High level of skills with HTML and CSS
• High level of skills with PHP and the Laravel framework.
• Experience of creating RESTful API's to drive internal applications developed by other colleagues.
• Knowledge of using Git for source control and the use of pipelines for deployment.
• Knowledge of Docker, MySQL and infrastructure deployed in a resilient fashion.
• Command line and scripting skills for Debian/Ubuntu
• Ability to design scalable and resilient web sites
• Knowledge of cross browser compatibility issues
• Ability to work as a sole developer as well as part of a larger team as projects require.
• Ability to produce timed project plans for each piece of work to allow the scheduling of resource.
• Ability to produce good quality documentation and training to allow the ongoing support of applications.