Job descriptionPlatform Engineer;
Key accountabilities and Main Responsibilities
• Provide operational support and continuous improvement of the application and infrastructure estate, and processes, for Development, Test and Production environments.
• Automation, process efficiency and appropriate tooling is utilised to reduce cycle times, and improve reliability, audit and traceability for all system deployments across multiple applications
• Process, best practice, system and application build standards are consistently applied and constantly improved upon
• Setup and configuration of software version release management, cloud provisioning, and monitoring within cloud and hosted environments.
• Ensuring that, working with DevOps, the Development Team has the right environment to maximise the development Teams' efficacy and obstacles are removed and automation introduced where appropriate
• Production environments are protected by governance, good practice/process, design and fit for purpose' environments, to the left of Pre-Prod, supporting all project and change activity
• Ensuring project and change release(s) are packaged to the right quality, repeatable between environments without change or modification and deployed to the target environments - ultimately to Production without detriment or issue in agreed timescales
• Weak points in Process, Technology and Service is addressed through a culture of continual improvement
• Software and processes are correctly documented to ensure single points of knowledge do not become a problem and skills are distributed across the team and department
• Ensuring that software Deliverables/Artefacts, as part of any Change/Project, are progressed providing appropriate status reporting and updates as requested by the Line/Project/Change Manager
• Design and implement virtualized and cloud-based architectures, leverage agile development techniques for scripting, and setting up developers so that they can run what they build.
• The deployment and configuration of applications and systems, ensure all releases are documented and packaged appropriately
Experience & Personal Attributes
• Build, monitor and support knowledge in some if not all of Windows Server, Cloud, Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft IIS install and management.
• Experience as an infrastructure, operations or technical expert operating in the space between development and operations
• Demonstrable technical knowledge in Enterprise system Design, Virtualisation, Capacity, Resilience, Monitoring, Network and Performance Management;
• Previous experience in cloud management, code and test, scaling, automation, source control, deployment and back up.
The Platform Engineer will provide full lifecycle production assistance to development, testing and Production departments. The DevOps Engineer will work within the DevOps team to be the hands-on subject matter expert for the application stack with particular knowledge of MS Azure, Cloud environments (PaaS & IaaS), MS Server OS, MS SQL Server, PowerShell, IIS and Linux. Working to deliver an automated approach to hardware and software delivery, adopting the appropriate tooling and governance to create repeatable, resilient and controlled deployments. Supporting the day to day management and control of all environments, from development infrastructure and applications right through to Production, ensuring they are aligned and the best possible service available to support business processes, including the provision of out of hours on call.