Job descriptionMy client, established in 1948, is a world-leading designer and manufacturer of energy control valves, safety, and monitoring products for engines, compressors, turbines, and other rotating equipment. They have experienced continued growth year on year and due to this continued expansion they are now seeking an Buyer for an immediate start.
Reporting into the Operations Manager, the purpose of your role will be to work within the Supply Chain department, providing Purchasing Planning & Material Control support to the production facilities, Engineering, QA and all non-production areas.
The essential duties of your role will include:
- Update IFS computer system with Static data gained from production, sales / planning forecast, customer service and historical data.
- Monitor and maintain MRP to ensure data is correct and up to date.
- Monitor stock holding levels to ensure that inventory targets are maintained and there is no buildup of obsolete products and any excess inventory holding can be justified.
- Support and participate in stock take activity (inclusive of perpetual inventory checking and variance correction and reporting) relating to the commodity and products under the Planner/Buyer designated control
- Liaison between Customer Service, Manufacturing and Purchasing/Planning to co-ordinate build of completed products to customer requested dates, ensuring adequate stock is held to maximize customer service levels and Inventory turns.
- Ensure purchase orders are placed and expedited to maintain stock and service level at optimum.
- Ensure all MRP exception messages are acted upon appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Working in conjunction with Operations monitoring material availability and capacity loading to avoid over-commitment of resources resulting in missed delivery promises.
- Provide daily, monthly and adhoc reports as required covering any issues of supply, build, despatch or capacity overloads.
- Champion continuous improvement and Best Practice' initiatives, including but not restricted to Lean activities, IFS improvements, Six Sigma, etc.
- Establish and maintain cost competitive, reliable, and quality assured sources of supply and co-ordinate supplier's contributions to product development and continuous improvement activities.
- Maintain and manage purchase orders, price changes, and resolve invoice queries to ensure accuracy of accounts.
- Co-ordinate the introduction of engineering changes with suppliers and manufacturing to ensure implementation on time and to cost.
- Monitor supplier quality and delivery performance and cost reduction activities to ensure that suppliers achieve agreed improvement targets.
- Support and participate in Internal and Supplier related Audits.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following educational and work-based skills and experience:
- Ideally have a Degree or HNC Certification in an Engineering related discipline, or 5 years plus experience in an Engineering / Industrial purchasing / planning environment.
- At least 5 years purchasing and planning experience and ideally hold or working toward achieving full membership of Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply.
- Have at least 5 years' experience in purchasing, planning and materials control functions, demonstrating strong customer service and leadership qualities.
- Previous experience of managing an ERP/MRP system preferably IFS.
- Experience in planning and purchasing - metal, plastics, or electronic parts for inclusion in industrial assembly environment.
- Have been involved in a range of contract negotiations and benchmarked suppliers across Europe and Far East.
- Experience in problem solving techniques.
- Computer Literate in MRP/MPS ideally utilizing IFS or similar.
- Computer Literate (Windows-based), must have Excel capability at intermediate /advanced level.
- Ability to make appropriate and effective use of oral and written English to communicate, cooperate and negotiate with diverse individuals and groups.
- Ability to utilise analytical and mathematical skills appropriate to responsibilities.
- Ability to utilise appropriate judgment and discretion as they relate to responsibilities.
- Ability to plan and organise work to effectively perform assigned tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to learn and to increase and update the knowledge and methods affecting area of responsibility.
You will also have the following competencies:
- Customer Focused
- Professional/Technical Excellence in Engineering / Commercial Environment
- Accountable for results
- Information Sharing
- Listening, Adaptability, Persuasion and Influencing
If this sounds like a suitable position for you and you have the required background and experience then please apply with your latest CV or call Gerry to discuss further.