Job descriptionMy client has been in business for over 200 years and has established itself as the UK's market-leading book production specialist and the main supplier to many of the leading publishing houses. With a combination of both traditional and modern day production techniques, they have invested heavily to ensure they remain at the top of their game.
Due to continued expansion within the business they are now seeking a Mechanical Engineer for an ASAP start.
Reporting into the Engineering Manager, your role would be to guarantee the smoothing running of the printing machines across the factory, ensuring my client can meet the operational needs of the business. This would include;
• Maintain and repair all workshop factory machinery as required or as directed by your team leader or supervisor.
• Complete both reactive and preventative maintenance on a wide range of printing / print finishing equipment.
• Ensure minimal downtime is experienced due to machine breakdowns.
• Work with the engineering team, under the team leader or supervisor as required.
• Suggest improvements to working practices to team leader or supervisor.
• Order and follow up on machine parts.
• Keep the electronic logbook of work up to date on a regular basis.
• Assess faulty machinery and diagnose the fault in a timely manner.
• Liaise with external contractors as necessary.
• Handover workload and updates on work activity for your shift to the next shift.
Please note: In this role you will be expected to cover holiday and sicknesses as and when required. Please also note that work location may vary depending on projects. My client is seeking someone with good communication skills as you would be liaising with Shift Managers & Operators (Printers & Binders) communicating to employees at all levels.
The ideal candidate for this position would have Mechanical Engineering qualifications or similar. You would preferably be apprentice trained. If you are time-served however then this will be considered. You would need to have a full UK driving licence and your own transport due to the location.
My client is seeking someone with experience in a similar role or industry, ideally within Print, however some other manufacturing / production industries will also be considered. You will be used to working in a fast-paced environment and have strong diagnostic / rectification skills and be used to working with small tolerances. If you have sheetfed or web press experience this would also be beneficial.
In addition, the following is essential;
• Happy to be flexible when required with working hours and shift patterns.
• Reliable with a strong work ethic.
• Be comfortable working alone or as part of a small team.
• Be comfortable working under pressure.
• Have a broad engineering skill base. Broadly speaking, you would be working on conventional printing presses that operate using Lithographic printing techniques. They also have the latest colour printing machinery, guillotines, binders and palletisers etc. There are varying departments with varying machinery however so the list of machinery is vast.
This is a full time, permanent position with an ASAP start. You would be working on a shift pattern covering 36 hours p.w.
Week 1: Work 6am-6pm Weds, Thurs, Friday.
Week 2: Work 6am-6pm Thurs, Friday, Saturday.
This rotates every week. Starting on week 1 then rotate to week 2.
Roughly every 5 weeks you will be expected to work a Sunday, which is compulsory.
This position pays a competitive salary in addition to various benefits which include; Pension, Company sick pay scheme, free car parking, Death in service benefit, health services, cycle to work scheme etc.
If this position sounds of interest and you feel that your skill set is relevant then please apply with your latest CV or call Gerry to discuss further.